Friday, July 6, 2007

Inexperience

Jeffrey is telling me still that my actions to speak with the attackers was indeed ignorant but very lucky. It's difficult to argue with that. Jeffrey tells me he has had a threatening encounter before in the subways of Paris: two men confronted him for his money. I know he's right.

I suppose I was 'inexperienced.' I type with irony to say this, but this was just my first time being held up: give me a break. How was I supposed to know I was supposed to just surrender and do what the young men wanted as they brandished their weapons at me? How was I supposed to know that I was supposed to be terrified? (Through the event I was more in the stance to fight than to flee.) How was I supposed to know how to act?

I guess I learned my 'lesson.'

UPDATE - Jeffrey reads my blog and responds that my actions were not strictly wrong. In this situation, most people would have just been 'cowards' and recapitulated. I just took a lucky roll.

No comments: