Friday, July 6, 2007

Reaction

Sam and Jeffrey later told me of my really reckless, ignorant, and dangerous maneuver to have attempted negotiating or talking with the attackers. (I was able to keep my cell phone, keys, wallet and contents, and camera though.)

I don't know. I was afraid for my friends, but I remained calm for myself. The thought of being able to take the robbers down even passed through my mind - I thought I would be able to grab one of the guns and reverse the situation.

I chose to comply with their orders (to give them our money) instead - but not without stubbornness. I was unwilling to surrender any of my things. This was a move, as Sam and Jeffrey brought to my attention, that was just stupid. I was unarmed and my friends and I were clearly dominated, but I mindlessly resisted relinquishing my material things. I was basically asking to receive bullets. Jeffrey and Sam told me I should have just kept my mouth sealed and given them everything.

I was blindly lucky and luckily blind to a) confront the attackers, b) be calm and stand my ground, c) keep my things (my cell phone, for example, was and is used to keep in touch with friends and the police), d) be alive.

No comments: